Tuesday 13 April 2010

Date 6th January 2025 Sol Star System

Well time for another installment and the first thing I've done based on a recommendation from randal7 on the Aurora forums is start construction of five military academies and some mines and auto mines. This over time will help improve the productivity of the homeworld.


The other task again as suggested is to get a survey team out leveling up there skills. The survey team is led by Commander Taylor John all I need to do now is work out how to get the team out there surveying.

I guess to get a survey team active I need to create a colony on the geology target so I chose asteroid #7 now just need to get the team there,

Oh dear first mistake I've created the team on Earth so I can't get them to the asteroid I guess I'll have to survey Earth instead and hope it improves there level.

Going to move time forward until something interesting crops up or the nuclear thermal engine completes. When moving time forward I find 5 day increments are the best and also it's useful to select show events in the display tab of the system map. This shows events on the map and cuts down the number of mouse clicks.

The research is due to complete on the 24th of January it actually completes on the 26th this is also something to be aware of sometimes the research can take longer than expected this may be down to the skill levels of the researchers. Well now I have engines I can start thinking about ship designs but before I do that I'm going to design some sensors so when I send ships out into the unknown I'm able to sense any possible contacts.

There are three types of sensor two of which are passive and one active the first two I'm going to design are passive.

These are EM (Electromagnetic) sensors which as far as I can tell detect the emissions from ships shields I currently have a sensor sensitivity of 5 but the range and sensitivity of the sensor can be increased by increasing the size so if the size is increased to 2 the sensitivity is increased to 10 this also increases the research cost. Thermal sensors which detect thermal signatures from planets and ships work the same way.

So for the first level of sensors I'm going to go with a size 5 for both EM and thermal sensor not sure if this is a good choice but I will only learn from my mistakes. Another thing to be aware of is the sensor size also affects the hull spaces used and the weight.

Both sensors are given research teams and will complete in about 5 or 6 months.

So let's move time forward again. As time passes various things can happen and one of my scientists Luke Bentley currently working on the thermal sensor gains experience which can only be good. Also our geology team does gain experience so it wasn't too serious an error and they discover new deposits of Neutronium which increases the accessability from 0.2 to 1 which is fantastic.

On the first of June the research on the EM sensor completes and the geological team do not believe anymore mineral deposits can be found on Earth so for now the team is disbanded. The excess research labs are allocated to the thermal sensor research.

On the first of July a month later the thermal sensor research completes. I decide to allocate all the labs to the jump point theory research which with the added resources has a completion of the 27th of November which is much better.

The jump point theory finally completes on the 1st of December and we can now research gravitational survey sensors which will allow us to uncover jump points to new systems. This research is due to complete next year on the 7th of May.

Well that's all for now things are starting slowly but once we get some ships exploring it should hot up. Also please let me know of anything I can do differently or add. The date in game is now the 6th of January 2026. At the start of the next entry I will start summarising the empire as this will give an idea of how things are going.












1 comment:

  1. Don't forget about your survey team :) You could have disbanded them on Earth, then switched to the asteroid colony, and rebuilt them there. Unless you use a ship to transport them to the colony (and you don't have any), that's the way to set them up on the asteroid. Teams can be shipped on any type of ship, btw. They don't require a transport ship, since there are only five people. But again, using a ship is not necessary, and only for role-playing purposed.

    ReplyDelete